Münster Studio (SP)

Münster Studio (SP)

Hey chicos !!! Aqui esta la nueva entrevista de un artisto espanol. Well, in order for everybody to understand and discover the spanish side of poster art, let's switch to english, so, despite his name which could sound a little bit german, please welcome, from Spain, Daniel from Munster Studio !!!!

 

Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

As I´m waiting for their new lp, I´m revisiting the last record of Cross Stitched Eyes. In the last days I´ve been pretty obsessed with Post regiment and the new album of La Habitación Roja.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I´m a 30 years old human being from Zaragoza, Spain. I run my own little graphic design studio and I´m a vinyl record collector. Beside that I also play in little DIY bands and organize gigs. Many posters are done in collaboration with a friend of me, Patricia Pascual, who´s in some way part of the studio.

When did you start drawing?

As everybody when I was a child, my grandfather used to give us tons of pencils and brushes. Years after I start collecting comic books, so I drew all my favorite characters everyday.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

Basically the margins of schoolbooks were my teachers jajaja I did graphic design in the art school and some courses after that, but I still learning everyday.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I´m full time in my studio. Of course I´m not rich but I live very happy doing something that I love.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not regularly but I love to collaborate with fanzines, they are a really great source of inspiration and a direct communication media, from the producer directly to the receiver so you get a pure and direct message.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

Influences came from everywhere, everything that rounds me. In art I love the classic avant-garde movements (dada, surrealism, futurism, etc.), Max Erns, Raoul Hausman, Rodchenko, Klutsis, Josep Renau, Polish posters, Saul Bass, etc. From nowadays I´m into the work of Isidro Ferrer, Alejandro Magallanes, Modern Dog,, Methane, Heads of the State, Aesthetic Apparatus, etc.  All this studios doing gig posters and illustration are a huge influence for me. In the other hand punk rock music, attitude and graphics are possibly the reason why I´m doing this, specifically CRASS and his graphic designer Gee Vaucher. I admire all her work and the way she communicates the message.

What are the principal steps in your work ?
First of all hearing the band. Bands music is the briefing for the work, which is great if you love music: getting payed for hearing music jajaja. This first steps are sketches on paper. Once we have the idea we work on it, prepare the layers for print and we screenprint the posters in our own workshop. We also like to work with local artists in collaborations, some kind of split posters. Mainly they do an illustration and we layout, do the final design and screenprint them.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Depends of what I need, computer is just a tool, sometimes we need that "computer look", sometimes not. But we always use computer for layering and pre-press, easier and faster.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

It depends, we can be like 3 days thinking about the concept, the idea and then do the artwork very fast or have a good idea quickly and spend days doing it. But we have a media of 3-4 days per poster, more or less.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

Design is solving communication problems so if some project needs a kind of oil painting we will have to do it, but the clients that ask us for something already know the way we work, so we figure they expect that from us.

For which band have you already worked for?

Many of the posters are done for bands that play in a local venue called Arrebato, but I´ve also worked directly with many bands like: La Habitación Roja, Litoral, Criatura, Obrint Pas, Picore, etc. All of them spanish bands.

For which band would you love to work?

I would love to do a poster for a reunion show of Post Regiment! Of course big bands that I like, such as Interpol, Wilko, Napalm Death, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

No, I just do everything I´m asked for, which in my opinion is better as you have to deal with different styles so you cannot keep doing the same thing overtime.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

The idea, the concept. Getting the band soul in a image.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?


At least in Spain, yes. Some of us (gig poster designers) we are working in The poster Collective (http://www.thepostercollective.org/) which is a project to promote gig poster artists and gig posters in Spain. This is helping to us to know each other and appreciate their work, beside collaborations and creating a communication channel for upcoming projects, support, etc.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?


On the internet we have some sites:
http://www.munsterstudio.com/
Our blog, where we post pics of our printed posters, talk about the stuff we use, etc.
http://munsterestudio.blogspot.com/
And a facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/M%C3%BCnster-Studio/179439282081037

In real life many of our posters can be seen on walls, bars and clubs of our city. We also sell our screenprinted posters in a shop called Simbiosis, here in Zaragoza.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Simbiosis-Shop/219905071403964

The best praise you received lately?

Everytime a band tells me: "do what you want" jaja

What can we wish you for the future?


To keep on going with Münster Studio and keep learning everyday.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: