Chris Murphey (US)

Chris Murphey (US)

AOf course Chris is really a nice person and knows the way to be sure to be published on the blog ;) " I dig what you are doing. Wish I would have thought of it first." he says by the end of the interview. Thanx for nthe appreciation, but I wish I had a quarter of his talent, so, as we have to do with our own specialities, all I can say is keep on doing what you do (perfectly well indeed) Chris, and I'll stick to my interviews ;) 

 

Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you ?
Currently on the ipod, I have the Black Keys, Chris Cornell, Noel Gallagher, Ray Lamontagne, The White Stripes, Ben Harper to name a few.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do ?
I’m Chris Murphey. born & raised in Richmond, VA.  Got a B.S. in graphic design from Radford University. Currently I’m an art director for an electrical sign company.

When did you start drawing ?

Before I could walk, my parents said they would roll out paper on the floor and I would just scribble away. From an early age,  my interest in art was nurtured by my family.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks ?
I would doodle daily through middle school and high school. Friends would pay me to do art projects for them. After high school, I had 4 years of art study at Radford University.


Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?
I have been fortunate to be able to make a living from jobs that were on the creative side. From an early age through high school, I learned all aspects of layout and metal fabrication working for my Dad. In college, I worked as an illustrator for a screen printing shop as well as painted billboards and lettered vehicles for a sign company. When I graduated college, I went to work in the prepress graphics for a lithography firm for two years. After this I went to Waldrum School of Neon in Texas to learn the art of neon glass bending. Upon graduation I got back in with the sign industry making neon signs. I did this for about 3 years. And now as an art director for the past fifteen years, I spend a great deal of time designing signs, logos and illustrating. I do all the computer architectural renderings and technical drawings for signs that require engineering stamps.


Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
Nothing currently.  I’m always open to illustration work whether its editorial illustrations, advertisement graphics, lettering, logos, graphics for mobile applications, etc.
 
Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists you particularly like, what are your influences ?

Comes from different stages of my life.  Growing up in the seventies as a kid, albums were such a great visual attraction.  The art work was stellar, I would try to draw these all the time.  Next came skateboarding and BMX.  Nothing beats the graphics by Jim Phillips and Vernon Courtland Johnson., aka VCJ.  Also I was really into comics.  Loved all the marvel and DC titles.  I was a big fan of John Byrne, Jim Lee, Jack Kirby, Frank Miller and Steve Ditko.  Then came my teenage and high school years, I was really into music.  This was when I discovered the great poster artists, Rick Griffin, Alton Kelley, Victor Moscoso , Stanley Mouse and so many others. As far as classic artist, Albrecht Durer, Mucha, & M.C. Escher.

I have always been fond of the stylized lettering that can be found on anything from vintage ads and posters, old beer cans, comic books, vintage signs, vintage magazines, etc.

What are the principal steps in your work ?
Typically I work out layout and composition with thumbnail sketches, then I ink up the chosen graphic, illustration &type.  Scan into computer where I do clean up &color.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?
Start by hand and finish up on computer.

How long does it take you to do a poster?
Varies, usually its last minute.  If I’m lucky no more than five to ten hours to flush out the plan, sketch it up, ink, scan and color.  Sometimes, I’ll have two , even three designs I’ll work on in tandem. I have folder full of posters half started, that I can use with a different band and pick up where I left off.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?
It can be challenge to come up with an idea for a poster.  So if somebody has an idea for something they want, I’ll see what I can do.  You never know what could come out of it. For inspiration, Bo Derek on a horse with the sunset in the movie Bolero comes to mind.


For which band have you already worked for ?
No bands directly,  I work with the radio stations mostly for promotional collateral.


For which band would you love to work ?
Any band who appreciates what I do and is ready to spend their money like a true rock star.


Do you choose the artists yourself ?
Working with radio stations, I have advance knowledge of the bands schedule.  Depending on available time, I’m able to pick and choose.
 

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?
For me, finalizing an idea for a poster. I often start with one thing that evolves into something else.


Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?
Never came to mind, I would say I’m part of the getting paid with beer and peanuts graphic scene. I’m just having fun doing what I enjoy.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life ?
I hope to have some shirts, decals and art prints available soon.  I’ll try to keep my gig posters account up to date. 

http://www.gigposters.com/designer/117859_Chris_Murphey.html

My website is www.murpheycreative.com.   Get in touch if you need any graphics, illustrations, logos, lettering, posters, signs, graphics for mobile applications, etc. 


The best praise you received lately ?
The request for this interview, thanks for the interest and exposure.
 

What can we wish you for the future ?
Happiness, a little luck and a sprinkle of fortune mixed with some cool creative projects.
 


Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!
Cheers, take care and keep up the good work. I dig what you are doing. Wish I would have thought of it first. I bet you have quite the collection of posters.

Aucun commentaire: